วันพฤหัสบดีที่ 4 กันยายน พ.ศ. 2557

English Idioms: Color





1. GREEN THUMB / GREEN FINGER
Used to describe someone with a talent for gardening, having the ability to make plants grow
>>> คนที่ปลูกต้นไม้เก่ง ปลูกอย่างไรก็งอกงาม
“This garden used to look so beautiful when my mum lived here. She definitely had a green thumb. I wish I did too!”

2. YELLOW-BELLIED
Someone who is seen as a coward or extremely timid
>>> คนขี้ขลาด
- “There is no point in asking him what to do. He is a yellow-bellied coward, and won’t stand up for what is right!”

3.
PINK SLIP
A termination notice received from a job
>>> ถูกยื่นซองขาว (ถูกไล่ออก)
- “They gave me my pink slip last week, so I’ve got to find a new job now.”

4.
WHITE ELEPHANT
A term used for a useless possession, something that is of no use
>>> เป็นของที่ไร้ประโยชน์
- “My mum bought a new CD player for me, but it’s a white elephant. I don’t need it, I don’t even have any CDs!”

5.
A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY
>>>  โอกาสทอง
An opportunity that may never present itself again
- “Think carefully about what you’re going to do, this is a golden opportunity, and you don’t want to mess it up!”

6.
RED TAPE
>>> อืดอาดยืดยาด, ความล่าช้าแบบราชการ
The term used for bureaucratic delay, or excessive formalities, and attention to rules and regulations, often resulting in injustice to the ordinary citizen
- “I just want to start my own business, but the amount of red tape involved is so frustrating, that it almost makes me want to give up!”

7.
THE SILVER SCREEN
A term for the cinema
>>> จอเงิน, จอภาพยนตร์
- “Do you fancy going to watch that movie on the silver screen tonight?”

8.
BLUE COLLAR
Used to describe men used as labourers, or factory workers
>>> พนักงานกลุ่มใช้แรงงาน
- “The got rid of a lot of the blue collar workers during the recession. I would say they definitely suffered the most.”

 



Credit: www.myenglishteacher.eu



ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น